Posts feature books that may have been provided at no charge & may be sponsored. Post contains affiliate links & I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on links.
Rise & Fall is the 4th book in the THIRDS series by Charlie Cochet. Continue reading for an excerpt from the book as well as a peak at what the character Sloan is really like! His character bio says quite a bit about him!
(THIRDS Series, Book #4)
by Charlie Cochet
Sloane Brodie Character Profile
- Name: Sloane Brodie
- Nickname: None
- Gender: Male
- Species: Therian
- Classification: Jaguar
- Age: 38
- Date of birth: Dec 28th, 1976
- General physical description:
Hair Color: Black
Eye Color: Amber
Weight: 240 lbs
- Scars/marks/tattoos: Long scar on the right side of his torso from an explosion.
- Hometown: Manhattan, NYC.
- Type of home/ neighborhood: Sloane lives in an apartment in Manhattan, NYC provided by the THIRDS when he first joined. It’s a trendy, fast paced neighborhood. His apartment overlooks the High Line.
- Relationship status: As of Rise & Fall, Sloane has been in a steady relationship with his Human boyfriend Dexter J. Daley nearly a year now.
- Current family: Sloane’s family is his boyfriend Dex, his best friend Ash Keeler, the Daley-Maddock family, and his team Destructive Delta.
- Family background (parents, previous marriages, etc.): Never married. Mother was accidently killed during Sloane’s first shift, father was shortly arrested and then killed himself. Ash Keeler is his best friend and also like a brother to him.
- Other close relationships: Was in his first long term relationship with his former THIRDS partner, Gabe Pearce. Gabe was killed roughly a year before Dex joined Destructive Delta.
- Job: Team Leader for Destructive Delta a Defense team for Unit Alpha at NYC’s THIRDS HQ in Manhattan.
- Dress style: Casual. Usually found in jeans, biker boots, black leather jacket, and t-shirt. Tends to grow his hair to his ears until his sergeant threatens to cut it for him (not an idle threat). Sometimes Sloane will wear a preppy cardigan instead of his leather jacket.
- Favorite pastimes/ Hobbies: Watching movies, relaxing with a good book, listening to music of the non-eighties variety unless it’s Classic Rock or his partner leaves him no choice. Sexy time with his boyfriend.
- Favorite foods: Anything with meat, but his Human side prefers healthy food. Is horrified by what his partner eats and is constantly trying to get him to eat healthier. One exception is empanadas. He loves them.
- Strongest positive personality trait: Sloane is a genuinely good guy and his strongest quality is his ability to fight, not just physically, but psychologically. Sloane is a survivor. He’s been through a lot in his life, events that could have shattered him, but he’s picked himself up and kept going.
- Strongest negative personality trait: His fear of hurting those closest to him, along with the pain caused by his past relationships, have sometimes kept him from taking chances with relationships. It’s difficult for him to open up and allow others in.
- Temperament: Sloane is very level-headed and has learned how to keep himself calm, a trait necessary as a Team Leader. His grumpiness shouldn’t be confused with temper. He’s just naturally grumpy. Though if someone hurts someone close to him, the claws will come out.
- How other people see him/her: Many see him as this big, tough Alpha who’s scary and sometimes a jerk. They think he’s imposing and standoffish. Dex sees a man who’s had a rough past, who deserves to be loved, taken care of, and given a chance to lead a happy life.
- Opinion of him/herself: At times he struggles with his confidence at being a good romantic partner to Dex. He knows he’s good at his job. It’s his personal life where he feels insecure at times. He thinks Humans see him as a monster, since it was something he was lead to believe when he was a child.
- Ambitions: Sloane’s happy being the Team Leader of Destructive Delta, though he hopes to one day become a trainer for the THIRDS Training Academy when it’s time to step back from the field.
- Philosophy of life: Hope for the best, and prepare for the worst.
- Most important thing to know about this character: Sloane is grumpy. He can be no-nonsense and straightforward. He does what he believes is right for the good of his team and those he cares about. Although at times he might stumble, he will always find his way.
- Will readers like or dislike this character, and why? I think readers will like Sloane. It might take a little time to warm up to him in the first couple of books because he’s going through a really difficult time. He’s lost his partner and lover, his first real functioning relationship before Dex. His past haunts him, and dealing with certain enemies has only brought up what he believed was once buried. But with Dex at his side, loving him, showing him the possibility of a happy future, Sloane becomes more than what he once was.